Friday, July 13, 2012

Reflected Seagull using Bird Punch


When I first saw this card by Stampin' with Blythe, I knew I wanted to try to turn the bird into a seagull.  On my first attempt, I used the bird directly from the punch without altering it.  I decided the seagull needed a bit more of a narrower neck and beak, so I trimmed a bit to give it the look I wanted.  Which do you prefer?


Instructions on making reflection bird card:

*Start with a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock cut to 8 1/2 by 5 1/2 and scored at 4 1/4.

*Sponge the edges with Sahara Sand to give it a sandy look.

*Use a piece of blue 3 by 4.   (I used a Baja Blue DSP piece from the Subtles DSP Collection).  Tear the top edge and distress.  I sponged the top with more Sahara Sand and the edges with Baja Breeze ink to resemble water.

*Adhere the blue piece to the card. 

*Punch a bird from Whisper White and a wing from Basic Grey.  Save the piece of Whisper White with the bird outline for a template for the reflection. 

*Color the beak with So Saffron. 

*Add a dot for the eye with a Basic Black Marker.  I then very carefully and lightly traced around the black dot with a Sahara Sand maker to make the eye look more realistic. 

*Sponge the edges of the bird and wing with Basic Grey.  I did not go over the head of the seagull since I wanted it to be left completely white like the seagull I was trying to create (a Great Black-Backed Gull.  You could certainly make his head black to make him look like a Laughing Gull.  I did a little research!  :)

*Next, position the seagull where desired on the card front.  Draw two legs using a Basic Grey Marker.  Adhere the seagull slightly over top of the drawn legs. 

*Using a blender pen, draw two lines with Basic Grey ink for the reflection.

*Using the Whisper White piece that you punched the bird from as a template for the reflection.  Layer it over the reflected legs.  Sponge lightly with Basic Grey to create the reflection in the water.  **Note: When I trimmed the seagull's neck down, I traced the slimmer bird and cut it out so the reflection would match the bird.  If you don't mind a fat neck and you skip the trimming part, you can use the punched template. 

*Stamp with sentiment.  I used "Remember When" from the Word Play stamp set.  Perfect for the summers I remember spending at the Jersey Shore! 

2 comments:

  1. Love this card. What a clever idea! Thanks for sharing your talent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. This is one of my all-time favorite cards! :)

    ReplyDelete